- Soak 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour in 1 cup buttermilk at room temperature for 12-24 hours (mine was about 24 hours)
- Proof 1 package yeast in a large bowl with 1/2 cup warm water
- Add soaked flour to yeast, and added 1 egg, 1/4 cup melted butter and 1 tsp salt.
- I added another probably 3 cups whole wheat flour to the bowl to make a stiff but not dry dough.
- Knead the dough on a floured board for about 5 minutes until elastic and springy
- Wash and oil the bowl, put the dough back in the bowl and turn over to coat with oil.
- Cover bowl and let rise 1 hour to 1/2 hours
- Punch down dough and cut into 12 pieces for buns. You could also make rolls by cutting it smaller.
- Place of oiled cookie sheet, cover and let rise for another hour.
- Bake at 400 for 13-15 minutes.
Here's a good breakdown of why soaking flour is good.