Friday, July 15, 2011

The Epicurean Diet

What is The Epicurean Diet, you may well ask. Isn't Epicurus the philosopher who preached decadent indulgence? What does that have to do with dieting? Isn't Epicurean Diet an oxymoron? I don't think so. First of all, Epicurus believed we could trust our feelings of pleasure, but he didn't favor overindulgence. Once you've past the point of satiety, anything more isn't pleasurable anymore. Eating foods too rich, or not balanced makes you feel sick. I believe getting to know what makes you feel good in body mind and soul is the key to a happy, healthy life. Everyone reacts differently to different foods.

Finding what makes you healthy and strong may take time and education as well as trial and error and learning to trust yourself. I don't believe most people actually feel good eating over-processed foods. As my friend Stacie says, those foods are soulless. People think they like them partly because of billions of advertising dollars, and a glut of empty sugar, fat and salt.  I think if people really stopped to taste and savor really well prepared whole foods, and got off the crap food for a while, they might just find a fast-food burger just isn't appealing anymore.

Ask anyone, I've always been a foodie and a good cook, but recently, I've been looking hard at how I take care of myself and what I eat and cook. I have made some changes, including cutting out all processed foods and most sugars. I'm influenced by traditional cuisines from different cultures, including, of course, the Mediterranean. I also exercise almost every day. I have found that I don't crave sweets or junk food, once I got over the habit of reaching for them. Some nagging health issues are clearing up and I've lost weight. I don't weigh myself regularly because I feel like, for me, the focus on a number takes me away from my goal of good health. I believe if I eat well, enjoy my food and my life and exercise, I'll be healthy at whatever size I am. I do not weigh, measure or count anything. I believe my hunger and pleasure are my guides.

In this blog, I'm going to share my journey to Epicurianism, as well as recipes and tutorials. I wish you deep satisfaction in all aspects of your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment